Here’s a look at some of the process I went through drawing the title page for Kinsey’s Sword. As it was the first spread I painted for the book I was still trying to capture the style of the illustrations. Initially I’d thought I’d add a lot more detail and move further away from the rough drawings I’d done, but I was unhappy with how it looked. In the end I returned to the looser style.
I also decided to remove the foreground branches. Though I really liked my sketches I wasn’t able to paint them in a way I was pleased with!
Looking back, the simpler image works much better as an introduction to the story. There was too much going on before.
Find out more through the Kinsey’s Sword Instagram. Keep an eye out tomorrow for a big announcement!